Today we really got to see Cuzco, walking around for 7 hours! The city is typically Latin American, not least because there always seems to be an excuse for a party. Today was the warm-up day for Corpus Cristi tomorrow. There was a huge, very colourful parade, lots of amazing costumes (especially given the heat) and plenty of music and dancing. If this was just the warm up, tomorrow promises to be very exciting.
I think because of the festival one large square in town is given over entirely to Chiriuchu food, this is a kind of outdoor barbecue, serving mainly (spicy) guinea pigs! Also including beer, chicha and corn bread! Strolling round the square I estimate around 250 guinea pigs had been sacrificed (I have photographic proof for anyone who wants to see). We found this place shortly after dinner, so did not sample, but will probably return tomorrow.
We spent the rest of the day shopping, largely unsuccessfully, for equipment we need to take to the field. We did find a great local market down the road, very handy for buying ingredients for dinner. I also had my first Bromeliad sighting! A small plant had fallen into the litterfall traps and made its way back to HQ!
No comments:
Post a Comment