Monday, 19 May 2008

Madrid


I have now got as far as Madrid, after the stress of leaving I slept for most of the bus journey/flight. The hotel is vast, and very grand, but named one of its conference suites "The Birmingham Room" !!!

Anyway, this seems like a good time to thank everyone who helped me pack and leave. The stress of packing for 3 months fieldwork and moving out of my room was tough. Without the kindness of all of my friends this would have been a nightmare. I would like to say thankyou to you all personally, hopefully I can do this later.

One little story, on the kindness of strangers, at the airline check-in, my luggage was over the allowance, and my 120 litre expedition bag 5 kg over the limit they allow on a plane (37kg to the 32kg maximum!). With the help of a lady managing queues I got through, with no excess charge! I am suspicious that we might have defied the laws of physics to achieve this.

Off to Lima tomorrow, early wake up call...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, tracking the flights on the web. Gatwick and Lima airports have reasonable websites to track flights but Madrid was not very informative. Whilst you travel thousands of miles Granny's bus breaks down on the way back from Bristol and she gets stuck in Birmingham.