I could have arrived a lot quicker but I decided to take the bus from Lima to Cuzco (a 21 hour adventure) as opposed to flying (a 55 minute hop over the mountains). My main motivation was actually not the £100 it saved (also the bus was like flying first class so comfort was not an issue) but instead it was my curiosity to experience the Andes from one side to the other. However, I hadnt thought through carefully enough the fact that in a 21 hour overnight bus journey the scenery becomes invisible for a good long time. I did see the expanse of coastal desert stretching south of Lima, but darkness fell as we headed up into the mountains. The sun, and my consiousness reappeared high in the clouds as we passed though some agricultural landscape, small fields surrounded by Eucalyptus trees and Agave plants! From there we passed into the cactus-filled canyons before emerging in the valley where Cuzco sits. I will remain clueless about the bits inbetween for the time being!!!
Im also aware that I was planning to blog about the things I got up to between my last post and leaving, but I didnt. I did however have a lot of fun so I will quickly mention some of these things. I spent a week teaching undergrads at Orielton, I saw 2manydjs live, I saw a martial arts show by the Shaolin warriors, I saw not one but 2 stone circles, Stonehenge and Avebury, drank some beer, drank a lot of tea and had my brain scanned (apparently I do have one!!). All in all it has been great fun :D Im going to miss it and everyone over the next two months :-(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment