Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Machu Picchu: details


At 3pm on Wednesday we decided it would be fun to make use of a spare Thursday by visiting Machu Picchu, so at 4pm I had thrown some things into a bag and along with Kathryn, Sally, Payden and Liz was standing by the side of the road to get a taxi to Ollyantaytambo. This was followed by the train to Aguas Calientes, the town beneath Machu Picchu. We found a hostel and purchased supplies for the day ahead, having not been at all prepared in advance. We woke up at 4:30am, and were comfortably far back in queue for tickets to get into and to the reserve, to get bus ticket then to get on the bus. Queueing is not one of my favourite activities and by the time we strolled through the entrance gates (7:30am), with the grey clouds hanging overhead, and the rain spitting down on us, I was expecting a lot from Machu Picchu to make up for the so far trying morning.

Inside Machu Picchu really is something special, to have built such a large city in such an inconvenient place defies belief. The steepness of the mountain can only really be appreciated first hand. The surrounding mountain scenery also adds to the amazment value of the site. The entire time I was in Machu Picchu though, I couldnt help but wonder what it was really like when it was alive, how it would have felt to live there, to work there. Perhaps they should have some reconstructions of some kind...

On site entertainment was provided by fighting, spitting llamas and our illegal picnic. We walked the site and a few of the paths taking lots of pictures. The sun never shone though. In all it was a great experience but if I were to go back I would come when there are less people, or hike to the top if I had more time!

No comments: