Sunday, 5 July 2009

The same with differences

So I finally arrived back in Cuzco at 6am after almost 2 weeks collecting data and plants. I revisited most of the sites I worked in last year and added a few new sites to the collection. Going back to Wayqecha was the most enjoyable, with food cooked and a nice warm bed to look forwards to each night. We worked in the new Esperanza plot from Wayqecha and also visited the new canopy walkway which should be completed very soon. I laid scientific claim to the first research done using the canopy walkway by collecting some bromelaids removed in the process of construction!

We then moved onto Tono. Tono is notorious because of the difficult hike in and high rainfall which makes camping hard. I went with another Oxford researcher, Josh Fisher and his assisstants, and we were feeling confident enough to get in and out in a day. Our confidence was well placed, and on the drive back to civilisation a downpour started which lasted until almost midday the next day!!! We celebrated our luck with a few beers before moving onto San Pedro for a few days work. Last year the trail around San Pedro had the best selection of bromeliads. This year it was not so good! But we got our work done things have progressed well.

No comments: