Im writing two posts in one night because Im off to the field again tomorrow...
Our research group has selected, as its lowland site, some plots in the Tambopata National Park, which is a 16 hour trek by bus from Cuzco. Being short of time I decided it would be easier to fly. So on Friday we jetted down into the Amazon proper, ready for some heat and sun, big trees and and invasion of insects!
We got the big trees, however the weather was not co-operative. We arrived during a "friaje" or cold-spell, and it felt more like the top of the mountains! Completely unprepared for this I spent a very cold night under my mosquito net. The cold weather had its advantages, we were relatively insect-free for the trip! The wildlife mostly stayed away aswell, a footprint was the closest we got to seeing a jaguar! We got all our work done, hiked the trails and even found time to go rowing on the lake! On the last evening I joined in the football game too, although I didnt score, I did set up a few goals and my team won!
No comments:
Post a Comment