Sunday, 29 June 2008

Two weeks in the field - The Trocha Union and San Pedro

I returned to Cuzco again yesterday after an adventurous two weeks in the field. This time our destinations were the legendary 'Trocha Union' and the 'Platforma de San Pedro'. They were two very different experiences.

The Trocha Union
This is a trail running down a ridge of one of the many spurs of the Andes. The ridge contains a series of 8 plots. Transport took us as far as Tres Cruces, then we were walking, carrying everything (minus the things we forgot!) to the campsites in plots 4 and then 8. Our food was limited to the things in our bags, and water was collected by 30 minute walks to mountain springs. This was the first time I have camped for a few years, and combined with carrying all our food and equipment, living on the Trocha was difficult. Thankfully we were in a group of 6 to 8 at all times, and the company, combined with some excellent cooking (along with my secret supply of chocolate) kept spirits high. I had time only to research two of the eight plots, but found some spectacular species of Bromeliads! We were lucky that the rain held off until the last day, as walking the trail of ridges, tunnels and muddy ground was difficult enough in the sun (even harder when we were late getting to plot 8 and arrived in the dark!). I think the Trocha, with the camping and heavy packs caught me slightly unprepared and I was glad to finally hit the road to San Pedro. This picture below shows me after having not washed or changed clothes for 4 days. We had packed away and walked one hour when we emerged onto a ridge with superb views. I thought it presented a great chance to pose for photos...

San PedroStill camping, but under a large wooden shelter, San Pedro was the life of luxury compared to the Trocha. It also seems to represent the start of the animal life of the Amazon, we were kept company variously by monkeys, mice, squirrels, otters and and amazing array of birds. I also took my first ride on the 'camions', the big lorries driving the trecherous mountian roads, as I went to re-stock food in the nearest town. The plot itself at San Pedro is located up a mountain stream! This meant the morning routine included a 10 minute stretch wading though the bottom of small stream up the hill. Again there were some amazing Bromeliads, and I got to climb a big fig tree, the tallest I have managed so far!So in all it was a successful two weeks, I learnt a lot, and feel much better prepared for future trips. In the next day or so I will try to post some comments from my diary, as they give a better taste of what life was really like.

1 comment: