Saturday, 1 May 2010

Sunshine and smiles

There are lots of amazing aspects to fieldwork, and I will try to post about them more often in future, but sadly at the minute there is not a lot to report, only more landslides and rain and last minute preparation.
My final negative post (hopefully) for this year will probably give you some idea of the really frustrating side of fieldwork. I find packing one of the most stressful activities in the world, and the worst packing is always packing for the field. Today, I had to pack bags for 21 days of scientific research, including for 14 days camping, and 7 days where we have to cook for ourselves too. I also have to do this for my assistant, as he does not have a clue about camping, or a tent, so I have to prepare all his things too. I spent most of the day travelling around markets, supermarkets and random shops, collecting everything I need, this has taken me from 9am until 6pm to achieve, and knowing I am constantly being ripped off along the way, and I still forgot to buy soy meat and a machete! On top of this I have transport organised for tomorrow "in the morning", but no one has told me the exact time. So, I have now 3 fully loaded 60 litre bags, 100m of rope, a 6ft catapult, a gas cylinder, 2 tents and a "small" 50 litre hang luggage all set for the trip! On the bright side, this is the first time I have ever been packed for the field more than 2 hours in advance of leaving (I must be getting slightly better at this). However, I feel stressed, which I almost never do otherwise.
To lighten the post there was some lovely sunshine in the center of town earlier, so I have added a few photos to lighten the mood I hope!

No comments: